Celebrations, promises, and resolutions, New Year’s Eve is not just for these things. Welcoming New Year is much more than just celebrating or remembering how bad the year was. We, the entire team of Being Dubai want to take a moment and look back at all the good things happened in Dubai in 2017 before entering 2018 and everything that awaits us!Celebrations, promises, and resolutions, New Year’s Eve is not just for these things. Welcoming New Year is much more than just celebrating or remembering how bad the year was. We, the entire team of Being Dubai want to take a moment and look back at all the good things happened in Dubai in 2017 before entering 2018 and everything that awaits us!
Here is the best six things that we think will put a smile on all of Dubaian’s when they look back at 2017.
- Tesla taxis – On 17th September, Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum officially deployed 50 Tesla electric vehicles to Dubai Taxi Corporation fleet which supports the Green Economy for Sustainable Development Initiative of Shaikh Mohammad, and the Dubai Smart Autonomous Mobility Strategy aimed at converting 25 per cent of total journeys into driverless journeys by 2030.
- Introduction of Sin tax on tobacco & energy/carbonated soft drinks – On 1st October The United Arab Emirates instituted a Sin tax on Tobacco & energy/carbonated soft drinks , with twofold agenda, The first is to generate revenue for the UAE government and the second is to improve public health, as the UAE has one of the worst diabetes rates in the world.
- 50% discount on traffic fines as part of national day – On 3rd of December, on account of 46th UAE National Day, Dubai Police announced a 50% off of traffic fines which includes the cost of cars that were seized. The discount is valid for all fines, between January 1, 2017 until December 1, 2017.
- An opening of the world’s longest urban zipline at Dubai Marina – The world’s longest urban zipline in Dubai Marina was opened on 3rd December for public and it isn’t for faint-hearted. A kilometer long ride from the Amwaj towers in Jumeirah Beach Residences is something that sounds thrilling but only the gravest can go ahead. These thrill seekers will land on the terrace of Dubai Marina Mall after flying at a speed of 83 km/hr.
- Dubai Frame – This Dhs160 million project was more than just a frame. Dubai Frame, which was made public, recently, has already been listed among the world’s best new attractions of 2017 by UK-based newspaper. The location of the giant rectangular frame is Zabeel Park and was carefully chosen to give visitors the best view of both old and new Dubai.
- Dubai safari park – 12th December marked the opening of one of a kind park in Dubai, Dubai Safari Park. Dubai Municipality announced the opening on Twitter and it took the world by its feet. For a little insight on this park, this 119-hectare park replaced the Jumeirah Zoo, which closed its gates last month after 50 years in operation and upon completion, 10,000 animals will inhabit the animal sanctuary.
Moreover, these aren’t the only good things that has happened this year. Look for something good and you will surely find many.
Happy New Year in advance from the entire family of Being Dubai, see you guys next year.