RTA announces road closures, public transport service timings, and parking facilities
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has announced the traffic movement preparations for the New Year’s Eve in Dubai with the coordination of Dubai Event Security Committee and Emaar.
CEO of Traffic and Roads Agency cum of Head of Traffic Movement Management and Operational Plans Handling during Official & Annual Events Team, Maitha Bin Adai said: “All public transit means in Dubai will be monitored through the Enterprise Control & Command Center (EC3) of the RTA. The Center will be in direct coordination with the Main Traffic Lights Control Center and the Operation Rooms of Dubai Police, Emaar. RTA’s team will be at the site as well as the control centres. ” She continued, “The Plan comprises five pillars oriented to ensure a smooth traffic flow, and focus on RTA’s public transit means as well as other services. The Plan will be managed in full coordination with the Police, Emaar and other stakeholders with the aim of making concerted efforts towards the success of the event,”
Here’s the full disclosure:
First Pillar: Road Closure and Timings
The Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard will be closed between 05:00 pm to 08:00 pm (once the parking area is full). Booking holders at the Boulevard area are required to come before 05:00 pm.
The Financial Center Street and Al Sukuk Street will be closed at 08:00 pm. Al Asayel Street will be closed (from Oud Metha Street to the Financial Centre Street) starting from 04:00 pm for the exclusive use of public transport and emergency vehicles.
Al Sa’ada [Happiness] Street will be closed as follows:
- At 06:00 pm: Closure of the intersection of Al Murooj Rotana leading to Burj Khalifa and the tunnel
- 08:00 pm: Closure of Emirates Towers intersection
Maitha said, “These closures will be made through RTA’s operational teams at the site in all locations and will be fitted with the required logistics for closure operations in collaboration with the Dubai Police.”
“The metro riders may please note that Burj Khalifa Station will be closed at 10:00 pm and two crossing points will be specified for pedestrians to properly cross the Sheikh Zayed Road nearby the Burj Khalifa MS, and the Business Bay MS. The crossing will be conducted under the supervision of police officers and RTA’s operational team to ensure an orderly crossing of the Sheikh Zayed Road and fend off jaywalkers,” she added.
Second Pillar: Public transport service
Almost 170 buses would be operated to lift visitors from the event venue to the outside, specifically to the metro stations to facilitate their exit. This bus service would be free of charge to commute the public on specified routes as follows:
- 90 buses on Sheikh Zayed Road in the direction of the Financial Center to lift the public from Burj Khalifa Metro station to Al Jafiyia Station and Mankhool Prayer yard.
- 20 buses on Sheikh Zayed Road heading to Abu Dhabi to lift riders from Burj Khalifa Metro station to Noor Islamic Bank Metro Station.
- 35 buses to lift riders from the Financial Center Street to the parking lots of Al Wasl Club, Jafiliya, and Deira City Center.
- 20 buses on Financial Center Street to lift riders to the parking of Al Jafiliya Station and Al Mankhool Prayer yard.
- 5 buses to lift riders nearby Dubai Water Canal to Noor Islamic Bank Metro station.
Third Pillar: Additional parking slots and Taxi Services
Around 4000 parking slots outside the event area will be provided to the public to use when moving from and to the site of the event through commuter buses in operation as follows:
|1000||Al Wasl Club parking|
|500||General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs at Al Jafiliya|
|1500||Eid Musalla at Mankhool|
|1000||Dubai Water Canal|
Taxis are expected to make about 18,000 trips during the event lifting about 38,500 passengers.
Fourth Pillar: Metro and Tram Services
The Red Line will be operational from 5:00 am, Green Line from 5:30 am on Sunday 31/12/2017 and continue running until 1:00 am on Tuesday 02/01/2018.
Fifth Pillar: Directional Signage and Intelligent Traffic Systems
“The RTA will provide 62 directional signage guiding to the alternative parking mentioned. Signs will also be installed for the use of internal roads at the Business Bay leading to the Sheikh Zayed Road and Al Khail Road to ease the pressure on the Financial Centre Street. 67 directional signs will be installed to guide the public within Burj Khalifa District to ease the movement of pedestrians to and from the venue of the event,” said Maitha.
“The light signals on the Financial Centre Street and the Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard will be monitored during various peak times in coordination with Emaar Control Room. The Virtual Messaging Signs will be used to alert road users when closures are made and direct them to the alternative parking areas provided,” continued Maitha.
“Pedestrian bridges on the Dubai Water Canal will be closed, as well as the associated lifts, for the public safety. The pedestrian walkway on the Sheikh Zayed Road above the Water Canal will also be closed,” added Maitha.
The RTA, Dubai Police and Emaar will run a joint service for responding to inquiries about the details of the proposed plan via social media channels. The public can also make inquiries through RTA’s toll-free number (8009090). Community members are urged to be more patient, observe the guidance of RTA and Police personnel, and used alternative roads as shown in the directional signs.
Based on the lessons learned from last year, an integrated plan has been mapped out to move the public from the event site to their destinations at the emirate as follows:
- An additional ad hoc pedestrian crossing will be established on Sheikh Zayed Road near the Business Bay Station to facilitate the movement from and to the other side of the Road such that there will be two temporary crosswalks on Sheikh Zayed Road.
- An additional directional sign will be provided to inform the public of alternative parking slots and guide pedestrians to the available transportation services at the time of departure.
- Buses will be better distributed to facilitate the lifting of riders to their destinations (Sheikh Zayed Road and the Financial Center Street).
- Using Al Asayel Street (New Bridge) at departure time from the Financial Center Street to Jebel Ali.
Tips or guidelines for road users
- Use public transport to access the event venue.
- Use alternative routes according to the directional signs provided.
- Be patient, cooperative and follow the instructions of RTA and Dubai Police personnel.
- Vehicles should not be parked on the streets around the event’s venue, especially on Sheikh Zayed Road and Al Khail Road, in order to maintain traffic safety and open the way for emergency vehicles.
- Individuals who have reservations in the Boulevard or at the Dubai Mall have to come before 5:00 pm
What is the role of the RTA in the New Year’s event?
- Streamline the traffic to reduce congestion in the area as follows:
- Provide public buses to lift the public
- Provide taxis
- Continuous operation of the metro on New Year’s Eve
- Provide alternative parking slots and public transport from and to the event venue
- Provide directional signs for road users (motorists and pedestrians)
- Monitor all intersections and roads network in the Emirate and control traffic signals to streamline the traffic flow.
- Provide temporary pedestrian crossings on Sheikh Zayed Road to facilitate public exit.